Philippines… Not a U.S. Concern!

 

PH not a ‘country of concern,’ says US State Department

Ron Gagalac, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 02 2017 08:06 PM

The US State Department today clarified that the Philippines has not been marked by US authorities as a “country of concern,” which means Filipinos can continue their travels to and from the US, or benefit from residing and working in the United States. 

Last week, US President Donald Trump signed an executive order denying US entry to citizens of seven countries, namely, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. 

The order also covers everyone with a visa from these countries, including “green card” holders who left the US and plans to come back. They will undergo scrutiny and might be prohibited from re-entering the US.

US State Department deputy spokesperson Mark Toner said the Philippines is not part of the “countries of concern” they are looking into or would be included further on their list as of this time, allaying fears that US authorities might conduct stringent measures against Filipinos entering the US.

“The Philippines was not among those countries that was labeled of concern so I would say that Philippines, Filipinos both in the United States and in Philippines themselves, should by all means, we welcome them to the United States,” Toner said in a news conference.